Prepare and preserve stew meat in your pressure canner. Use in the year ahead with your favorite recipes.
Level of Ease:Advanced
Preserving Method:Pressure Preserving
You Will Need:
- Beef, Veal, Lamb, Mutton, Pork or Venison (select roast or less tender cuts)
- Glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- CUT meat into 1 1/2- to 2-inch cubes. Remove fat and gristle.
- COMBINE meat with water to cover in a large saucepan. Simmer meat until hot throughout.
- PACK hot meat into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired.
- LADLE hot cooking liquid over meat leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Stew Meat you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo