Salmon or Shad
Preserving a fisherman's catch extends the pleasure of a successful fishing trip with ready-to-use fish from your pantry.
Level of Ease:Advanced
Preserving Method:Pressure Preserving
You Will Need:
- Salmon or Shad
- Half pint or pint glass preserving jars, only, with lids and bands
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- DISSOLVE 1 cup salt in 1 gallon water to make brine. Cut fish into jar-length pieces. Let soak in brine for 1 hour. Drain for 10 minutes.
- PACK fish into hot half pint or pint jars, skin side next to glass leaving 1 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 40 minutes for half pints and pints, adjusting for altitude.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Salmon or Shad you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo