Pickled OnionsMakes about 14 (8oz) half pints or 7(16oz) pints
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 1 L pearl onions, peeled
- 250 mL salt
- 500 mL granulated sugar
- 60 mL mustard seed
- 2 mL prepared horseradish
- 2 L vinegar (white or cider)
- 7 small hot red peppers
- 7 bay leaves
- SPRINKLE onions with salt; add cold water to cover. Let stand 12 to 18 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly.
- PREPARE waterbath preserving pot. Wash jars, lids and bands in hot, soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set lids and bands aside.
- COMBINE sugar, mustard seed, horseradish and vinegar in a large saucepan. Simmer 15 minutes.
- PACK onions into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch (13mm) head space.
- CUT two small slits in hot red peppers. Add 1/2 pepper and 1/2 bay leaf to each half pint jar. Add 1 pepper and 1 bay leaf to each pint jar.
- LADLE hot liquid over onions, leaving 1/2 inch (13mm) head space. Remove air bubbles. Center lids on jars. Screw on bands to fingertip-tight.
- PROCESS half pints and pints for 10 minutes in boiling water canner, ensuring jars are covered with water and adjusting for altitude.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Pickled Onions you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo