Pickled CarrotsMakes about 7 (490 mL) pint jars
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 6 cups (1.5L) white vinegar
- 2 cups (500mL) water
- ½ cup (125mL) pickling or preserving salt
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 14 heads of dill (see tip)
- 3-1/2 Tsp. (17mL) hot pepper flakes
- 5 lbs. (2.3kg) carrots (25-30 medium), ends removed, peeled and cut
into sticks (1 inch/2.5cm long and ¾ inch/2cm wide)
- Prepare waterbath preserving pot. Wash jars, lids and
bands in hot soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use. Do
not boil. Set lids and bands aside.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water and
salt. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve
- Place ½ clove of garlic, 1 head of dill and ½ tsp. (2mL) of hot
pepper flakes, if using, in each hot jar. Pack carrot sticks into hot jars to
within a generous ½ inch (1cm) of top of jar. Top with second head of dill.
Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover carrots, leaving ½ inch (1cm)
headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot
pickling liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance
is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Process pints for 10 minutes in boiling water canner, ensuring jars are
covered with water and adjusting for altitude. Remove lid. Wait 5 minutes, then
remove jars, cool and store.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Pickled Carrots you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo