Peas and Carrots with Chives
Peas, Carrots and Chives. A delicious combination that you can preserve with pressure canning.
Level of Ease:Advanced
Preserving Method:Pressure Preserving
You Will Need:
- 1 lb peas in pods per pint jar
- 1 lb carrots per pint jar
- Salt, optional
- Boiling water
- Fresh chives, snipped
- Glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- WASH, drain and shell peas. Wash and drain again. Wash and peel carrots. Wash again. Cut carrots into 1/2-inch slices.
- COMBINE peas and carrots in a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- PACK hot vegetables in hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1 tsp salt to each quart jar, 1/2 tsp to each pint jar, if desired. Add 1 Tbsp snipped chives to each pint jar.
- LADLE boiling water over vegetables leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 40 minutes for pints, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Peas and Carrots with Chives you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo