Peach JamMakes about 8 (4oz/135ml) jars
A spoonful of this delicately flavoured, luscious jam turns ordinary jam into memorable treats.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 5 tart apples, stem and blossom ends removed, chopped coarsely, cores intact
- 2 lemons (unpeeled), finely chopped
- 1.5 L chopped, pitted, peeled peaches or nectarines
- 1.375 L granulated sugar
- In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine apples, lemon and enough water to prevent sticking. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, partially cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until mixture is very soft. Working in batches, transfer mixture to a fine sieve. With back of spoon, press mixture through sieve to yield 500 mL applesauce. Discard skins and cores.
- Prepare preserving pot. Wash jars, lids and bands in hot, soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water. Set lids and bands aside.
- In a clean, large deep stainless steel saucepan, combine applesauce, peaches and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Boil, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and mounds on a spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch (0.5cm) headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot jam. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to finger-tip tight.
- Place jars in preserving pot, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Peach Jam you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo