Orange Chili MarmaladeMakes about 8 (4oz/135ml) jars
Chili peppers intensify the citrus flavor and add zest to this unique marmalade. Use it to add sparkle to cheese trays or serve as a condiment with coconut-battered shrimp. And don't forget toast - it makes the traditional something special.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 500g oranges (unpeeled), seeded and thinly sliced
- Grated zest and juice of half a lemon
- 750mL water
- 1-1/2 dried habenero chili peppers
- 1.125 L granulated sugar
- 8 (4 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE oranges, lemon zest and juice and water in a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Add chili peppers, partially cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until fruit is very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard chili peppers.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Wash jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water. Set lids and bands aside.
- RETURN mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Maintaining boil, gradually stir in sugar. Boil hard, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches gel stage, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and test gel. If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.
- LADLE hot marmalade into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch (0.5cm) headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Orange Chili Marmalade you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo