Chervil and Thyme enhance the flavor of home canned peas. Preserve in pressure cooker for use up to one year.
Level of Ease:Advanced
Preserving Method:Pressure Preserving
You Will Need:
- 1 1/2 to 3 pounds peas per pint
- Pint or quart glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- WASH and rinse peas thoroughly. Drain. Shell peas and wash again. Place prepared beans in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil small peas (less than 1/4”), 3 minutes and medium peas (1/4” to 1/3”), 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse in hot water and drain again.
- PACK hot peas into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1/4 teaspoon chervil and 1/4 teaspoon thyme to each pint jar, 1/2 teaspoon chervil and 1/2 teaspoon thyme to each quart jar.
- LADLE boiling water over peas leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 40 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Herbed Peas you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo