Ginger Pear Preserves RecipeMakes about 7 (8 oz) half pints
Pears with lime and gingerroot combine to make a delicately flavored preserve with an exotic island taste.
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 5-1/2 cups finely chopped cored peeled pears (about 8 medium)
- Grated zest and juice of 3 limes
- 2-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated gingerroot
- 7 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE pears, lime zest and juice, sugar and gingerroot in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and test gel. If preserves break from spoon in a sheet or flake, it is at the gel stage. Skim off foam. If your mixture has not reached the gel stage, return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for an additional 5 minutes. Repeat gel stage test and cooking as needed.
- LADLE hot Ginger Pear Preserves into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Ginger Pear Preserves Recipe you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo