Dill PicklesMakes about 5 (500 mL) pint jars
Level of Ease:Easy
You Will Need:
- 8-1/4 (2.05L) sliced, trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4-inch/0.5cm
- 2 cups (500mL) white vinegar
- 2 cups (500mL) water
- 5 Tbsp. (90mL) pickling or preserving salt
- ¼ cup (50mL) granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) pickling spice
- 7-1/2 Tsp. (37mL) dill seeds
- 5 Tsp. (25mL) mustard seeds
- 1-1/4 Tsp. (6mL) whole black peppercorns
- 5 cloves garlic, halved (optional)
- Place cucumber slices in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water, pickling salt, sugar and pickling spice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Pour pickling liquid over cucumber slices. Cover with waxed paper and set aside until cooled to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In each jar, place 1-1/2 tsp (7mL) dill seeds, 1 tsp (5mL) mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp (1mL) peppercorns and 2 garlic clove halves, if using. Add cucumber slices to within a generous 1/2 inch (1cm) head space of top of jar. Ladle pickling liquid into jar to cover cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch (1cm) head space. Apply lids. For best results, allow cucumbers to marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 weeks and use within 3 months.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Dill Pickles you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo